Tag Archives: Wingrove Park

ThrowbackThursday: Eltham Festival Parade 1978

#ThrowbackThursday – Who can’t resist a good parade? We can’t. A few weeks ago we featured the Eltham Community Festival Parade of November, 1982. Today we time travel back to August 4, 1978 just in time to catch the parade as it passes the service station on the corner of Main Road and Mount Pleasant Road opposite Wingrove Park.

This series of images of is from a recent mystery donation received in August. They were contained in an envelope dropped into our letterbox at 728 Main Road; no explanation or information about the donor. So whoever you are; we thank you and appreciate this valuable addition to our collection.

Eltham Fire Brigade, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978 (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

The photos are an example of the damage that the old-style ‘magnetic’ albums can do to your prints and it is always best to use proper archival storage materials. The images have a significant orange-red colour cast and we have attempted to restore them but the red wavelength has clearly degraded much quicker than the other primary colours, which is why we have purple fire trucks!

All these images are now included in our rapidly growing catalogue on Victorian Collections (@victoriancollections) to help preserve and share these precious moments in time.

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society (as we were known then) was involved with the Warrandyte Historical Society (@warrandytehistoricalsociety) in arranging an exhibition at the Community Centre and also provided notes and a map for a self-guided walking tour of historic buildings and locations around Eltham. The exhibition was divided into two sections. The Eltham Society displayed early photographs associated with the walking tour, whilst the Warrandyte Society showed their photographs and artifacts of the Warrandyte gold era. An outstanding feature was the large “blow-up” photos of early Warrandyte.

Does anyone remember this festival and parade? Did you or your community group participate in the parade? And who is our mystery donor? There was very little information provided other than a motion blurred image of several ladies from the Country Women’s Association Montmorency along with their names;  Edi Levi, Joyce Finster, Thelma Smith, Jean Spencer and Norma Williams.

2nd Eltham Sea Scouts, Eltham Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, August 1978.(From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
2nd Eltham Sea Scouts, Eltham Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Our Ladys School, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Eltham Community Youth Club, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Country Womens Association Montmorency, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. Some of the ladies included Edi Levi, Joyce Finster, Thelma Smith, Jean Spencer and Norma Williams. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Rotary Exchange Students, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Eltham Basketball Club, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Apex, Eltham Parade, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
!st Eltham Scouts and Cubs, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Montmorency Scouts, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Wearables Yarn Wool, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Mono cyclists, Eltham Parade, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road opposite Wingrove Park, 4 August 1978. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Advertisements

ThrowbackThursday: 1934 Diamond Creek Flood

#ThrowbackThursday – In our July 6th post on Ansell and Muir’s chicken shop, we stated that because the store stood within the 1934 flood zone, the property was unable to be redeveloped. Consequently the former Shire of Eltham acquired the land and the building was subsequently demolished. But why did 1934 become the benchmark for our modern day flood zone planning laws? Well today we time travel back to November/December 1934 where we can gain some appreciation of the devastation that flood brought to the district; to its infrastructure and the community.

In early November 1934 much damage was done around the Shire from recent rains, detailed at the Council meeting held Monday, 5th November 1934 (1).

However, worse was to come. On Thursday evening, November 29th, the rains came again, ceasing the following Saturday morning, December 1st. It was reported in the Advertiser on Friday November 30th, more than 8 inches of rain had been recorded at Eltham North that morning; 80% of the annual total and nearly five times that of the previous November (2).

1934 Diamond Creek flooding across Main Road looking towards Eltham at the intersection with Falkiner Street; a Council truck blocking Main Road; Eltham Lower Park on right; Eltham Park Tea Rooms (later Ansell and Muir) on left flooded. The bridge can just be seen on far right centre (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society, donated by the former Shire of Eltham)

The flooding was the highest level recorded in the district for over 40 years. Lower Eltham Park was under 5 feet of water which also covered Main Road  for over a mile (3).

Floodwater from Diamond Creek across Main Road in 1934 at what is present day Wingrove Park. In the distance, left of centre, is Mr. Montieth’s Ford Wagonette stranded in the floodwater near Wingrove Cottage looking up Main Road towards Eltham. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society, donated by Peter Bassett-Smith)

The Diamond Creek rose rapidly engulfing all before it; houses and shops were submerged, livestock and poultry swept away and drowned in the raging torrents, bridges severely damaged or destroyed, fences laid flat and trees uprooted. At 1pm on Friday December 1st, Main Road was under water and cut off. Early in the afternoon, Mr R. Monteith’s ‘bus became stranded near the concrete bridge. The driver and passengers escaped but the bus was stuck there till  the floods receded the following Tuesday morning. By that afternoon it was back in service and people could start returning to their homes. What they found was a six inch layer of slime, which covered floors, furniture and bedding; crockery piled up against doors and window openings, bodies of dead pets which had failed to escape. And in some cases, snakes had sought refuge in the houses. Not since 1868 had floods caused so much damage. The levels recorded were now reported as the highest in 60 years (4).

At a Special Council meeting held Wednesday, December 12th, the Shire Engineer reported that damage was estimated to be £2,000 to roads and bridges; two large bridges being completely washed away. In today’s terms, based on economic project costs that would equate to almost $4 million. A detailed breakdown of damage throughout the Shire and private property was reported. Council applied for a grant towards the cost of repairs and opened a local relief fund through the Lord Mayor of Melbourne’s Flood Relief program for those whose homes had been inundated. It was noted that whilst other districts also suffered, Eltham Shire was particularly impacted not just through the loss of livestock but also because some of the cultivated land had been totally washed away rendering it unusable in the future for further cultivation (5).

Of course over the years Eltham has seen further regular flooding, the most recent significant event occurring Christmas day, 2011. Some of our members can remember the 1934 floods but they were only very small children then. What are your experiences and memories of floods in the area? Do you have any photos to share?

Main Road looking north adjacent to Lower Eltham Park near Falkiner Street in 1986. Ansell and Muir’s Chicken Shop (former Eltham Park Tea Rooms) can be seen at centre.(From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society; Photo: Marjorie North)
Main Road looking north adjacent to Lower Eltham Park near Falkiner Street, Feb 2017 (Google Street View)
Main Road looking north towards Wingrove Cottage adjacent to Wingrove Park, Feb 2017 (Google Street View)
A view of the area showing it in 1945 (Melbourne 1945)

 

References
  1. 1934 ‘Eltham Council’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 9 November, p. 6. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747061
  2. 1934 ‘DARING RESCUES AT NORTH ELTHAM’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 7 December, p. 2. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747404
  3. 1934 ‘DISTRICT’S RECORD FLOOD’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 30 November, p. 7. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747355
  4. 1934 ‘FLOODS AT ELTHAM’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 7 December, p. 1. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747374
  5. 1934 ‘SPECIAL ELTHAM COUNCIL MEETING’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 21 December, p. 2. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747561

 

Heritage Excursion: Saturday 2nd Sept. – An Eltham South Ramble

Photo: Old Main Road Bridge over Diamond Creek, Eltham; a timber trestle bridge which was damaged in the 1924 floods and subsequently replaced in 1926 with a concrete structure. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society) – Turnaround point for this heritage excursion.

Saturday, 2nd September, 2017 at 2.00pm

This walk was originally scheduled for May but for several reasons including inclement weather it had to be postponed. We hope for better luck this time.

Early view of Main Road looking south from Brougham Street to Dalton Street; site of the Avenue of Honour in memory of the 1914-1918 War.

In the early days of our Society our excursions were usually bus trips to places of historic interest away from Eltham. For nearly 20 years our excursions have been far more local, mainly comprising walks around many parts of the Eltham district. The first such walk was a leisurely stroll through the Eltham South area.

Although that walk has been repeated several times with some variations it is considered appropriate in this our 50th year to again take a ramble visiting historic sites in Eltham South. On the way we will pass artist Percy Leason’s house “Landscape” where we will read from Margot Tasca’s recent book on Leason’s life about the construction of the house and studio. Other sites will include White Cloud Cottage, the old buildings of Eltham Primary School and teacher David Clark’s cottage, “Shoestring”. We will walk through the historic Eltham Cemetery and Wingrove Park, a site of Aboriginal significance.

This walk on Saturday 2nd September 2017 is about 3.5 km in length and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It will start at 2pm at the Eltham Local History Centre 728 Main Road (Melway ref 21J7). Our early walks finished with a cuppa and biscuit and we will reinstate that feature for this walk.

This free walk is open to the general public as well as Society members. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions. The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.

Photos of Percy Leason’s Residence Studio “Landscape” by David Bick from the Shire of Eltham Heritage Study 1992.

Source: RESIDENCE AND REAR CONCRETE STUDIO – “LANDSCAPE”, 60 LAVENDER PARK RD – See more at: http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/63480

Heritage Excursion: An Eltham South Ramble – 6th May 2017

Saturday, 6th May, 2017 at 2.00pm

Early view of Main Road looking south from Brougham Street to Dalton Street; site of the Avenue of Honour in memory of the 1914-1918 War.

In the early days of our Society our excursions were usually bus trips to places of historic interest away from Eltham. For nearly 20 years our excursions have been far more local, mainly comprising walks around many parts of the Eltham district. The first such walk was a leisurely stroll through the Eltham South area.

Although that walk has been repeated several times with some variations it is considered appropriate in this our 50th year to again take a ramble visiting historic sites in Eltham South. On the way we will pass such places as White Cloud Cottage, the old buildings of Eltham Primary School, teacher David Clark’s cottage “Shoestring” and artist Percy Leason’s house “Landscape”. We will walk through the historic Eltham Cemetery and Wingrove Park, a site of Aboriginal significance.

This walk on Saturday 6th May 2017 is about 3.5 km in length and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It will start at 2pm at the Eltham Local History Centre 728 Main Road (Melway ref 21J7). Our early walks finished with a cuppa and biscuit and we will reinstate that feature for this walk.

This free walk is open to the general public as well as Society members. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions. The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.

Photos of Percy Leason’s Residence Studio “Landscape” by David Bick from the Shire of Eltham Heritage Study 1992.

Source: RESIDENCE AND REAR CONCRETE STUDIO – “LANDSCAPE”, 60 LAVENDER PARK RD – See more at: http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/63480