Tag Archives: W.H. Everard

ThrowbackThursday: Official Opening, Eltham High School, October 13th,1928

Feature photo: Eltham High School, 1944 (donated by Gordon Tonkinson; from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society @elthamhistory )

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back 90 years to Saturday, October 13th, 1928. We have been invited to attend the official opening of the new higher elementary school building at Eltham along with about 1,000 parents and children.

The school was originally opened on January 26, 1926 with 60 pupils and Mr. John Stewart as headmaster. Classes were initially held in the State School building in Dalton Street and the public hall in Henry Street. Apart from guaranteeing sufficient pupils, the Education department also required the local residents provide an area of land of eight to ten acres and a cash guarantee of £1,200 though this was ultimately reduced to £600 given the land was purchased at £90 per acre. It has taken nearly three years of hard work by the community to achieve this aim but finally the big day has arrived, 12 months after tenders were first advertised, which cost £5,000.

The day is cast in glorious sunshine. With a pleasant breeze and a maximum of 58 (15° C), Eltham is looking its best. There is an air of gaiety and excitement about.

Unfortunately, those visitors who have arrived by train are somewhat unimpressed with the railway station surroundings. On the vacant allotment right alongside the station is an assortment of rusty kerosene tins-about 15 of them-and the fences adjoining are in a thoroughly disgraceful and disreputable state, and have been for some months. In addition, several of the trees at the approach to the railway have died for want of attention, and hoodlums-said to be of local extraction-have deliberately destroyed several of the barrels enclosing the trees. Not so long ago the nearby swings were also vandalised and what was left of them were removed by an indignant resident.

However, as we approach the school grounds, beautiful hedges of hawthorn in full bloom greet us before entering the gates. Just inside the grounds are row after row of quince trees, between the leaves on the branches the fruit beginning to show. No doubt a tasty treat will soon be provided for the boys and girls during breaks in the day.

Dotted about the school ground are small picnic parties enjoying life in the beautiful sunshine to the fullest extent. The sound of music supplied by a section of the Returned Soldiers’ Band from Anzac House.

In the marquee there are small tables dotted about with groups of people sitting around them. The tables are decorated with posies of early Victorian period made with forget-me-nots, daisies, picotees, heavenly blue, stock and wallflowers. The posies are the handiwork of Mrs. H. Rutter, wife of the president of the Eltham Shire, and the sweet-smelling blooms come from the beautiful garden at “Yarra Brae,” Eltham, the home of Cr. and Mrs. Rutter. They are greatly admired and sought after. As we cast our eyes further around the scene we see a group of children chatting with Mrs. Hooley (nee Miss Sweeney), a former teacher at the State School in Dalton Street.

In the lead up to today’s carnival, a number of people have been struck down with the flu, including various committee members; Mr. John Stewart, the headmaster, amongst them. Fortunately the good weather has invigorated him sufficiently well enough to join us but disappointingly, the Governor of Victoria, Lord Somers, who was intended to perform the opening ceremony has also been laid low and forbidden to leave Government House. In place of His Excellency, we learn that Sir William Irvine, Lieutenant-Governor and a fellow local Eltham resident has agreed to step in.

We also hear word that Cr. H. Rutter, president of the shire, was called away unexpectedly to England earlier in the week to fulfill an important business engagement in connection with the firm with which he is associated. The acting president, Cr. A. H. Price, will stand in to represent him.

An interesting little ceremony is now taking place near the flag pole. Mr. Stewart is announcing that Mrs. George Phillips, of Eltham, has presented an Australian flag to the school. The gift, remarks Mr. Stewart, is a most acceptable one, and it is a kindly and generous act. Mr Stewart requests Mrs. Phillips unfurl the flag and cheers arise from the onlookers as the new flag flutters bravely in the breeze at the top of the pole.

A sports carnival has also commenced for the boys and girls prior to the arrival of Sir William Irvine. It is scheduled to run throughout the afternoon, interspersed among other activities.

ELTHAM HIGHER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL which was officially opened on October 13, 1928. (1928 ‘ELTHAM HIGHER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 19 October, p. 2. (AFTERNOON.))

Punctual to time, Sir William Irvine arrives and is greeted with cheers as he, in company with Mr. J. Lemmon (Minister of Education), Mr. W. H. Everard, M.L.A., and Mr. C. Hansen (Director of Education) take up their positions at the entrance doors of the school whilst the band plays the National Anthem. Also present are Mr. H. G. Fryer (president of the Teachers Union), and Councillor A. H. Price (representing the Eltham Shire Council).

Upon completion of the National Anthem, Mr. Stewart apologises for the absence of Cr. Rutter but states it has afforded him the pleasure of welcoming Sir William Irvine, who had so kindly assented, at very short notice, to take the place of Lord Somers, and whose presence at the gathering had been looked forward to by residents of Eltham.  Mr. Stewart says he believes Sir William Irvine would ably fill the gap caused by the absence of Lord Somers, which is met with applause by those standing around us.

Mr. Lemmon, is next to speak and he too is received with cheers. He also thanks Sir William Irvine, who has come at such short notice to take the place of His Excellency, Lord Somers, and whose inability to attend is greatly regretted. He expresses hope on behalf of all of us in attendance that the illness of the Governor would be of short duration; to which several people call out “Hear, Hear!” Mr. Lemmon expresses his own pleasure to be present in order to take part in the opening celebrations connected with the Eltham Higher Elementary School. He is pleased to see that the representative for the district, Mr. W. H. Everard, is out and about again, which is also greeted by the crowd with a “Hear, hear!” He states that Mr. Everard has well and faithfully represented our electorate for the best part of a decade, and was a man who looked well after the interests of the people whom he represented. More applause follows. He continues to state Eltham is one of 48 similar schools scattered throughout the State in addition to 38 high schools. We are told that only 25 years ago pupils received no more than an elementary education at the hands of the State, whereas today students to the number of 13,000 are catered for in the higher elementary and high schools. The cost of education had increased during that period from £750,000 annually to £3,000,000. Mr Lemmon says that the amount might seem large, but in his opinion, it is money well spent.

Mr Lemmon then congratulates the school committee on the excellent work it has done, and he trusts that parents will also take an active interest in the school and those who attend, allowing the latter to remain in school after they have attained the age of wage-earners. He recalls he has often heard the glories of Eltham spoken of, and from what he has seen of the place today, the encomiums passed thereon are well justified and deserved. This is met with much applause.

Mr Lemmon continues with a reference to one of the greatest men who had ever given his services to the empire, the late Lord Haldane, who had said that the purpose of education was to develop an appreciation of culture for culture’s sake, and also to further the application of science to industry. He reminds us that Lord Haldane had further said that a democracy which failed to provide equality of educational opportunity, was not a real democracy at all.

Mr. Lemmon concludes his remarks saying it is the wish and desire of those entrusted with the education of our boys and girls in Victoria to carry out those fundamental principles which had been advocated by Lord Haldane, who had been one of the greatest educationalists the world had ever possessed.

Sir William Irvine now steps forward and addresses the gathering.

“Fellow citizens of Eltham,” he starts with. Even though he regrets very much the cause for him being among us this afternoon, he feels a distinct honour to be called upon to open one of the higher elementary schools in this State. He says he is an enthusiast in all matters pertaining to education, and in his opinion it did not matter if the cost of education was increasing, as he feels quite sure that the return would be well worth it.

“I believe that the seeds you sow in the minds of the young produces the most certain results.”

“Such schools present the young with opportunities of rising not merely to technical and industrial efficiency, so that they may make more money or higher wages. That is a useful object and may be the aim of the majority who enter this and other schools but there is something higher.”

The more chances given to the rising generation in the way of education, says Sir William, the better for all concerned. The community will undoubtedly benefit thereby in the long run. Let the children be well equipped for a calling in life, and it would be well for all concerned. The new school at Eltham opens the door to higher education, and it is a door open to rich and poor alike. No matter how much people might disagree so far as political issues are concerned, they could all agree on the point that young people should be given every available opportunity to rise to greater intellectual levels. He continues in saying there need be no cause for apprehension, even if the cost of education rose to an even greater extent-than the figures which have been quoted this afternoon. It was the aim of education to bring the minds of people into paths of thought leading to vistas of intellectual truth and beauty. Secondary education should be a means of drawing out the creative intellect of the youth of this fair country, in order that their efforts would lead towards the benefit of all, so that their minds might be uplifted above the sordid cares of ordinary life, and so that they might enjoy the priceless heritage of English history. By possessing courage, energy and determination there was no goal which might not be reached.

Sir William then declares, with great pleasure indeed, the Higher Elementary School at Eltham opened to resounding cheers.

Mr. Lemmon calls for three cheers for the new school, which are heartily given, mostly from the lusty throats of youthful Elthamites and boys and girls from adjacent towns.

Mr. Everard, M.L.A., expresses pleasure at being present at the afternoon’s function-the first official function he has been able to attend for 10 weeks. He desires to thank the good people of Eltham and throughout the other parts of the electorate of Evelyn for their kindly thoughts of him and the many inquiries made during his time of sickness and trouble. The kindly feelings and thoughtfulness of the people are greatly appreciated by him. He is also pleased to see present among others, Mr. Hansen, the Director of Education and Mrs. Hansen. He states it is necessary for men to have their wives with them “sometimes,” in order to look after them, which is met with laughter. Whilst regretting the unexpected and the regretted absence of Lord Somers, he says it is gratifying to have in our midst such a man as Sir William Irvine, who had responded to the call at short notice.

Someone in the crowd calls out for a singing of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow,” when reference is made to the Lieutenant-Governor, but the response is somewhat disappointing, the popular air being started in different keys in various parts of the crowd resulting in discord.

Mr. Everard then calls for a cheer for Sir William, which is heartily given. Mr. Everard raises another laugh by responding “Thanks, that’s all right. It was better than the song.”

At the conclusion of these proceedings the party undertakes a tour of inspection of the class-rooms, afternoon tea following in a marquee. Groups of four are allotted to each table, and home delicacies in the shape of scones, sandwiches and cakes are partaken of under the chairmanship of Mr. Stewart.

Mr. Hansen says he thought the time an opportune one on which occasion might be taken to return thanks to all those who had worked so hard in order to make the opening the success it undoubtedly is. The attendance of such a large crowd shows that the people are taking an interest in their new school. He says we have an ideal foundation for a complete plan of a new building, which he trusts would eventually develop into a high school. The school has a fine body of teachers capable of imparting the necessary instruction to the boys and girls who attend the school. Mr Hansen continues by saying when he first saw the site on which the school was to be erected, he expressed the opinion that it was one of the beauty spots of Eltham, and he was of the same opinion still.

Mr. Hansen explains that the school building, designed with a Moorish style architecture is the only one of its kind in the State. Eighty children are at present attending the school and it has accommodation for more than 100 pupils.

Mr Hansen also thanks the ladies of Eltham, particularly for the energetic and valuable part they had taken in connection with the school opening, and he moves accordingly.

Mr. Everard seconds the vote of thanks, which is carried with much acclamation.

Mr. Stewart makes a suitable response on behalf of the ladies, who had worked hard from the inception of the movement right up to today. He notes Mrs. Phillips and Mrs. Burgoyne were “the chief conspirators,” which is greeted with laughter. He adds that these ladies had been assisted very ably and capably by an efficient band of workers, who left no stone unturned in order to ensure today’s success.

Lady Irvine, wife of the Lieutenant-Governor, also presents two beautiful pictures for hanging on the walls of the Higher Elementary School, in connection with the opening proceedings. One represents a Dutch girl and the other is entitled “Mother and Child.” Lady Irvine takes a keen interest in matters connected with the school. The gift of the pictures is greatly appreciated by Mr. Stewart and all those interested in the progress of the scholastic establishment.

As a finale to the day’s celebrations an enjoyable dance is to be held in the public hall in Henry Street later in the evening. The entertainment has been organised by the united efforts of district social and sporting clubs working in co-operation with the school committee. Decorations in streamers representing school colors brighten the interior of the hall, and greenery has been artistically used to tone down the brighter colors. Smart and Aumont’s orchestra (violin, piano and mandolin) are to supply the music and Mr. J. Glen will officiate in his usual capable manner as M.C.. Supper will be provided later, and the entertainment will wind up at midnight. Should be lots of fun.

Are you going to join us there?

Main entrance, Eltham High School c.1960 (Photo donated by George W. Bell; from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society @elthamhistory )

References:

Advertisements

ThrowbackThursday: Gala Opening Ball,New Public Hall, Eltham, November 21st, 1941

Photo: Eltham Hall (Artist’s impression); Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser, 28 November, 1941,  p. 3.

Introductory Card, Gala Opening Ball, New Public Hall, Eltham, Friday 21st November, 1941 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society @elthamhistory)

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back 77 years to November 21, 1941. Our boys have been fighting in Europe and the Middle East for almost two years now and our district has suffered losses. The headlines in today’s Argus describe a terrific attack by the RAF on posts in Libya in which our airmen assisted.   In just 16 days the Japanese will launch a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, devastating the US Navy Fleet, and catapulting us into the Pacific War, right on our very doorstep.

It is just before 8:30 p.m., the sun having set just over an hour ago. A recent Gallop poll shows people are in favour of daylight saving time two to one but we will have to wait another year till it is introduced.  We have gathered in Arthur Street at the corner with Maria Street, near the base of the steps leading up to the swanky new Eltham Public Hall and Shire Office. The lights at the top of the steps bask us in their glow. It is overcast and 58 degrees (14°C), down from the maximum of 64 (18°C) at 3 p.m.. A few showers fell in the morning but it is dry now and predicted to be a fine day tomorrow, which is good as we have a big night ahead for us. For we are about to walk up the steps and enter into the new hall for the first time to attend the Gala Opening Ball which commences in just a few minutes, finishing in the wee hours of the morning. This is going to be a grand event; the official ceremony commences at 10:30 p.m.. Everyone is dressed to the nines and the air is full of excited chatter.

Shire of Eltham Office and Hall, cnr Main Road and Arthur Street, Eltham, c.1960 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society @elthamhistory)

The external walls of the building are constructed with Templestowe bricks which were selected for use because of their comparatively low initial cost and because such a brick facing reduces maintenance cost to a minimum.

In a few weeks the new Shire Offices will also be ready for occupation, and for the first time since Eltham was created a Shire in 1871, its municipal business will be conducted in surroundings befitting its dignity.

The combined structure of the Hall and Offices provide Eltham with a focal point for development, and is a fine building setting an example for future improvements to the township.

The design affords convenient  and appropriate entrances to both the public hall and the Council Chambers befitting their importance whilst achieving a satisfactory linking up of the two buildings.

The Municipal Offices consist of Council Chamber, general office, rate collector’s office, secretary’s office, engineer’s office and store room. They have been designed to provide for an additional storey when warranted by future development.

The entrance hall and Council Chamber are panelled with specially selected ribbon grained Queensland walnut with all other walls sand finished internally. A feature of the Council Chamber is a fine open fire place built of Ballarat tapestry bricks. The windows are of steel frames with a section glazed with broad reeded glass for privacy.

The whole building has been roofed with “Fibrolite” which will act as an insulator and will afford effective protection against the effects of condensation on the ceilings. Internally and externally, a pleasing and lasting effect has been achieved by the restrained use of color in pastel shades.

The site upon which the buildings stand will lend itself to a satisfactory garden treatment and development, and its elevation and central position in the Town of Eltham renders it a landmark around which the shire should maintain its recent growth and development.

The hall section of the building comprises a main hall, stage, two dressing rooms, kitchen, two cloakrooms and foyer. To provide for small meetings, the men’s cloak room and foyer are divided by means of folding doors.

The kitchen is fitted out with ample cupboarding, copper, stove and power points and is insulated with fibrolite wall board.

A specially constructed brick and concrete bio cabin has been constructed above the foyer. Flush walnut veneer polished doors have been used throughout.

Right on 8:30 the doors swing open and we are embraced by the surge of people.

Passing through the doors we immediately notice how clean and bright it appears with its white walls, and Tasmanian Oak hardwood floors; not a nail in sight thanks to the secret-nail technique stipulated in the design. The interior treatment of the main hall consists of a “Masonite” dado 4ft. 6in. high above which are fibrous plaster walls and a coved fibrous plaster ceiling.

Indirect artificial lighting has been installed by the introduction of scientifically designed fibrous plaster dome reflectors which are first illuminated by metal suspension electric light fittings. These lights are supplemented by wall bracket lights. The atmosphere created adds an element of glamour in addition to the many beautiful gowns worn by the ladies and smartly dressed men.

The acoustics have been catered for through the proportions of the building in conjunction with the elimination of inside wall piers and the use of “Perfotile” sound absorbing tile wall treatment. About 300 people are already in attendance yet conversation is easy to hear.

The stage is massed with flowers and shrubs carefully arranged by Mr. W. Allen; contrasting with the striking red, white and blue of the Union Jack draped at the back. A large bowl of delphiniums sits in front of the footlights.

Four years earlier, in September 1937, a group of ladies met to form a Ladies’ Committee to assist the General Committee in raising funds for the hall. Those present were Mrs Allen, Mrs Bowman, Mrs Hickey, Mrs Rains, Mrs Boake and Mrs Lyon. As there were only six present, they elected to remain in the interim as a Social Committee to arrange catering, etc., for the two dances that had been arranged for September 29th and October 30th of that year. Both those dances proved a great success. Mrs McAdie joined the committee in October. The Ladies’ Committee was officially formed at a combined meeting of the General and Ladies’ committees held on April 6th, 1938. Mrs Boake agreed to be President, Mrs Lyon as Secretary and Mrs Rains as Assistant Secretary. Other members included Mrs Browne, Mrs Forde, Mrs Jarrold, Mrs Bradbury and Mrs Taylor.

By 1941 their numbers had grown to include Matron Wilson, and Mesdames Andrew, Brinkotter, Cloney, Walker, Parsons, Crick,  Ballenger, Travena, Hurst, Shields and Le Brocq . A number of these ladies who will eventually move on and become part of the Women’s Auxiliary of the Eltham War Memorial Trust, have been working tirelessly organising events and raising much needed funds to arrive at this special occasion today.

As we take in the splendid surroundings we overhear many complimentary remarks about the wonderful job achieved by the members of the Hall Committee and the Ladies’ Committee which had supported the General Committee over many years. Plenty of refreshments are available; there are tables laden with cakes and other treats as well as another table of cups and saucers in a Blue Willow design for those wishing to partake of a cup of tea.

At 10:30pm there is a ringing of spoons on glasses. The official opening ceremony by the Hon. W.H. Everard, M.L.A. is about to commence.

Councillor A. Brinkkotter, secretary of the Hall Committee, introduces Mr. W. Hickey, the president, and in doing so remarks that Eltham has succeeded, after many long years of fighting, in erecting a new hall and civic centre which had been badly needed.
Mr. Hickey says that although for a long time it had looked as though the erection of the building would be postponed indefinitely, at last the new hall was completed.

“It took a long time to convince the Council of the necessity for a new hall and civic centre in Eltham,” he says. “The councillors, in looking after the interests of all sections of the rate payers, could not see that such a move was necessary. But finally the Hall Committee proved that such a move was not only advisable, but would prove a financial asset to the Shire.”

“This committee had to put down £1,500 in cash before the work on the hall began, and to enable the committee to do this, residents loaned them money free of interest for 12 months. In addition the committee has guaranteed to pay the Council £100 a year for the next ten years.”

“The borrowed money has to be repaid to the lenders, and I hope that the public will realise this and support the functions which have been and will be arranged by the Hall Committee to enable them to return the money as soon, as possible.”

Councillor E. Andrew, vice-president of the Hall Committee, extends a welcome to visiting councillors from Heidelberg, and adds that he is proud to be present on such an auspicious occasion. The Hall Committee has worked for years to provide the town with such an asset, and deserved the success which had crowned their efforts.

Mr. G. L. Chandler, M.L.C., extends his own congratulations to those who had been instrumental in having such a fine hall built. Of its kind, he adds, it is the best hall in which he has ever been.

“It speaks volumes for those people who have worked for many years for the hall. I know of no other place where the residents have handed over £1,500 for the erection of a hall and guaranteed the balance of the cost. You will always find the few who say ‘Time is not opportune.’ In these days you have to make your opportunities.”

“Before any town can advance, a civic spirit must exist in the residents, and I hope the people will support the Hall Committee which has the interests of this district at heart.”

The gathered are disappointed to learn from the Shire Secretary, Mr. C.L. Tingate, that the Shire President (Councilor Price) has been kept away due to illness. Mr. Tingate recalls the fire which destroyed the old Shire Offices at Kangaroo Ground in 1934 and the opposition which then existed to the Shire Offices being transferred to Eltham.

“Had it not been that this opposition was overcome, it is doubtful if we would have been celebrating this occasion tonight. This hall is the result of years of work by a committee which has had the desire and has used every endeavour to make the town go ahead.”

Councillor Braid tells the the assembled gathering that efforts had been made for years to get Shire Offices and a Hall in Eltham, and it was only when the present committee had made a concerted effort and a wonderful offer to the Council, that their object had been achieved.

“The South Riding Councillors have been trying to avoid increasing the rate, and they have managed to erect the Shire Offices without any increase,” he says.

And now it is time for Mr. Everard to speak. Laughter erupts when he recalls that a few years ago when talking to Councillor Braid, who was then President of the Shire, he had said “I’m sick and tired of hearing the talk about your new hall. I’ll be dead and buried before there is a new hall here!”

Mr. Everard also says that he considered it was due to the efforts of six Eltham people that he was first returned to Parliament.

“A meeting was called in the old hall to discuss my campaign, and although the weather was bad and I was late, this little group waited for me and began preparations which ultimately resulted in my election to represent the district.”

Mr. Everard then declares the hall open and expresses hope that “this red letter day for Eltham” will live long in the memories of those present.

Councillor Brinkkotter returns to the stage and comments on the wonderful work done by the members of the Hall Committee in the last two weeks, fixing up the seats – all armchairs – placed around the walls of the hall. He also expresses thanks to the Ladies’ Committee for its untiring efforts in support of the Hall Committee, and on behalf of the committee he thanks the Council, the architect (A. K. Lines and MacFarlane of 440 Little Collins Street and Greensborough), the contractor (A. E. Smart of Thomastown) and all the men who had worked on the building, along with the public who had so generously assisted with the expense.

And with the speeches completed, the band starts playing again and the floor becomes alive with couples dancing while others retire to the lounge chairs.

Those present include: Mr. and Mrs. D. Lyon, Mr. and Mrs. W. Walker, Mr. and Mrs. Collis, Mr. and Mrs. H. Shields, Mr. and Mrs. W. Allen, Mr. and Mrs. J. Crick, Mr. and Mrs. E. Staff, Mr. and Mrs. J. Ryan, Mr. and Mrs. J. Ballenger, Mr. and Mrs. Butler, Mr. and Mrs. G. LeBrocq, Mr. and Mrs. J. Kent, Mr. and Mrs. D. McAdie, Mr. and Mrs. S. Browne, Mr. and Mrs. McNeill, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, Mr. and Mrs. G. J. Gillberg, Mr. and Mrs. Bryan, Mr. and Mrs. J. Bell. Mr. and Mrs. A. Parsons. Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Rains, Mr. and Mrs. L. Jarrold, Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Burgoyne, Mr. and Mrs. C. Hurst, Mr. and Mrs. J. Cresp, Mr. and Mrs. S. Kirkland, Mr. and Mrs. A. Schulz, Mr. and Mrs. Bryce jnr., Mr. and Matron Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Sinclair, Mr. and Mrs. W. Squire, Mr. and Mrs. L. Iredale, Mr. and Mrs. H. Williams, Mr. and Mrs. W. Adlington.

Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Tingate (representing the Shire President), Councillor and Mrs. E. Andrew, Councillor and Mrs. A. J. Braid, Councillor and Mrs. A. Brinkkotter, Councillor and Mrs. W. Clinton, Councillor and Mrs. J. L. Ryan, Councillor and Miss Lines.

The Hon. G. L. Chandler, M.L.C. and Mrs. Chandler, Mr. W. H. Everard, M.L.A.

Mesdames E. M. Boake, Allen, Pennefather, Northmore and Johnston.

Misses Beryl Northmore, Adele Peacock, Jean Glasgow, Olwyn Bryan, Mona Baker, Muriel Butler, Dorothy Butler, June Rains, I. Dudfield, Brennan, Scott, E. Bradford, Allen, S. J. Taylor, B. Simpson, A. Brookes, Somerville, Finlay, D. LaFranz, O. Parsons, E. Doney, I. Bond.

Messrs. R. Taylor, W. Boake, H. A. Davies, R. Marks, D. and J. Glasgow, Carrucan, Leo and Lou Brennan, A. Lowerson, G. Burges; K. Browne, L. Bryan, R. Wigley, L. Doney, W. North-more (R.A.A.F.), V. McColl, R. Finlay, Bryce, sen., Maclurkin, A. Smart, C. Brodie, and Dr. Bradbury.

References:

  • 1941 ‘CIVIC OPENING TONIGHT-LANDMARK IN ELTHAM HISTORY’, Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser (Vic. : 1940 – 1942), 21 November, p. 3. , viewed 15 Nov 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57495599
  • 1941 ‘OFFICIAL OPENING OF NEW CIVIC CENTRE’, Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser (Vic. : 1940 – 1942), 28 November, p. 3. , viewed 15 Nov 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57495679
  • 1941 ‘BIG MAJORITY FOR DAYLIGHT SAVING’, The Herald (Melbourne, Vic. : 1861 – 1954), 13 November, p. 8. , viewed 18 Nov 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article245362845
  • 1937 Formation of Eltham Public Hall Ladies Committee, 21 September 1937
  • 1940-1944 Minutes 14 March 1940 to 4 May 1944,Eltham Public Hall Ladies Committee