Tag Archives: Thompsons Pharmacy Eltham

ThrowbackThursday: Main Road Shops, Eltham, 50 Yrs Ago

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back 50 years to revisit the east side of Main Road in Eltham between Dudley and Luck Streets. In February 1968, shortly after the founding of the Shire of Eltham Historical Society a few months earlier, an unknown person, possibly one of the Society’s founding members, took a walk from the Eltham Hotel on Pitt Street in a northerly direction along Main Road through the shopping centre and on to Elsa Court. They had the foresight to photo-document their walk and these photographs now provide a valuable resource in the Society’s collection. They provide us with a fascinating insight to days gone by when Eltham had less hustle and bustle. Many of you will probably recognise a number of the shops, no doubt some were even favourite haunts.

This small selection captures some of the scenes between Dudley and Luck Streets. The various businesses include the Bank of N.S.W. Browne’s Self-Service, Caltex Service Station, Chemist, Clinton’s Hardware, Commonwealth Bank, Dairy Queen, Delicatessen, Eltham Real estate, Home Heating, Mac’s Meats, Milk Bar(s), N.H. Baxter Estate Agent, Radio & TV, Thompson’s Pharmacy, Willet’s Food Centre and Wine Shop.

What else can you see in this time-capsule? Do these images provide flash-backs of sights, sounds, smells and good memories?

Main Road shops from midway between Luck and Pryor Streets, looking south along the east side. Includes Browne’s Self Service, Delicatessen, Dairy Queen, Commonwealth Bank, Mac’s Meats and Thompson’s Pharmacy, February 1968 (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Main Road shops looking north including Thompson’s Pharmacy, Radio & TV, Home Heating, Eltham Real Estate, Bank of N.S.W., Wine Shop, Chemist, etc, February 1968 (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Main Road shops looking north from Arthur Street including Thompson’s Pharmacy, Clinton’s Hardware, Eltham Real Estate, N.H. Baxter Estate Agent, Willet’s Food Centre, Bank of N.S.W., Chemist, Milk Bar, and Caltex Service Station on the corner with Luck Street, February 1968 (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
East side Main Road shops from Luck Street to Dudley Street. Includes Browne’s Self Service, Milk Bar, Delicatessen, Chemist, Mac’s Meats, Thompson’s Pharmacy, N.H. Baxter Estate Agent, February 1968 (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Looking south along Main Road from Luck Street (Google Street View, Sep 2016)

June Meeting – … about Thompsons Pharmacy, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Meeting

8th June at 8pm

Eltham Senior Citizens’ Centre, Library Place, Eltham

Thompsons Pharmacy
1928 ‘Advertising’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 20 July, p. 3. (AFTERNOON.), via Trove http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57757783

Shortly after the First World War Ivan Thompson, a pharmacist in Fairfield, expanded into the Diamond Valley by opening pharmacies at Eltham, Greensborough and Watsonia.

In the early 1950’s, Norm Williams considered he was fortunate to be able to serve an apprenticeship with Ivan Thompson at his Eltham pharmacy. He was with the business when it moved in 1952 to the present site at 964 Main Road, Eltham, which was the first brick shop built in the Eltham Town Centre. When in 1958 Ivan Thompson decided to sell his pharmacies Harry Brown and Norm Williams were able to purchase the Eltham business and expanded with pharmacies in Fairfield and Lower Plenty.

At this meeting Norm Williams will speak about how Thompsons Pharmacy has developed, while continuing to supply a range of services for generations of Eltham families. His stories, supported by a collection of personal photographs and recollections, will entertain as well as give an insight into how pharmacy practices and the Eltham shopping centre has changed.

As at all of our meetings, new members and visitors are most welcome.