Meet at 2.00 pm (Melway ref 22 A9) at the corner of Kent Hughes and Lavender Park roads, Eltham.
Pioneer Eltham farmer Thomas Sweeney (1803-1867) named his house, ‘Culla Hill’ after the area in Ireland that he came from. His house, now called ‘Sweeneys’, remains on a ridge line overlooking the Yarra River. It is recorded that Thomas Sweeney did well out of carting potatoes and other supplies to the various gold fields such as Bendigo, McIvor (Heathcote), Mount Alexander and Beechworth.
Culla Hill is now the name of the road providing access to subdivided lots of the former Sweeney property.
The Culla Hill walk will start at the corner of Kent Hughes and Lavender Park roads, Eltham (Melway ref. 22 A9) at 2.00pm on Saturday 7th September. Street parking is available in Kent Hughes Road. The distance is about 3km., and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. The walk will include Culla Hill with its views over the Yarra Valley, views of ‘Sweeneys’ and a visit to the Sweeneys Flats section of the Yarra Valley Metropolitan Park.
The walk is open to Society members and the general public. Please note this walk does not include internal inspection of any houses. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions. The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.
#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back 50 years to 1969 and the northwest corner of Metery and Mount Pleasant Roads, Eltham, overlooking Carrucan’s Dairy on Dalton Street. The Carrucan farm included land within the area bounded by Dalton Street, Metery Road and Mount Pleasant Road, as well as other land in various locations around Eltham.
A number of members of the Carrucan family left their homes in West Clare, Ireland in the 1850s to settle in various parts of the world including Australia. The book Dirt Poor Spirit Rich produced in 2011 by The Carrucan Family Fellowship tells the story of the history of this extensive family.
Newly married Patrick and Mary Carrucan travelled to Melbourne in 1856 and settled in Eltham. They purchased a small farm property at the corner of Bible Street and Dalton Street and lived there for the rest of their lives. By the time Patrick died in 1896 they had substantial land holdings around Eltham.
The farm passed to their son Michael (Mick) and later to his son John (Jack). Jack built a modern dairy in the 1940s and that would be the dairy shown in this photograph. The family home is located opposite the dairy at the corner of Bible Street. Over the years and particularly in the 1970s various parts of the farm were sold for residential subdivision including the dairy site. Jack died 5 May 1976 leaving no family. The family house was demolished around July 1976 and the last part of the property was subdivided.
Another family closely connected with the Carrucan family is that descended from Thomas Sweeney, honoured as the pioneer settler in early Eltham.
This image along with some 400 others (mostly Hurstrbridge Line trains) was recently donated to the Society by George Coop. George is also the photographer of the well known image of the ‘Red Rattler’ wooden bodied Tait train on the Eltham Trestle Bridge, taken in 1981, which he donated to the Society some years back. We are most appreciative of George’s generousity and will feature a number of his other images in the future.
Our Society encourages interest in and the sharing of stories about the local history of the Eltham district in Victoria, Australia