Tag Archives: Significant tree

ThrowbackThursday: Cnr of Brougham and Bolton Streets, Eltham, c.1950

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to around the 1950s to the corner of Brougham and Bolton streets where we find the property “Southernwood”. Built around 1891 it was originally owned by the Harbey family until purchased by the artist, Walter Withers in 1902. Withers added a studio to the property in 1903. The house was further modified in 1948 and remains essentially the same profile we see today.

Contained within the Society’s collection are two undated photographs, one of Southernwood and another looking east down Brougham Street from Bolton street, adjacent to the home.

Southernwood at the corner of Brougham and Bolton streets, c.1950. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.)
Southernwood at the corner of Brougham and Bolton streets, 13 November 2017. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.)

The image of the home appears to present its current profile so it reasonable to assume that both these images were taken post the 1948 additions, most likely in the 1950s.   It is also noted both Brougham and Bolton streets remain unsealed at that time.

Looking east along Brougham Street from adjacent to Southernwood at the corner of Brougham and Bolton streets, c.1950. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.)
Looking east along Brougham Street from adjacent to Southernwood at the corner of Brougham and Bolton streets, 13 November 2017. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.)

Of particular interest is the view looking down Brougham Street compared to today as it is apparent two of the trees present in the earlier image to the left of Brougham Street remain in place today. No doubt they probably greeted Walter Withers as he left his home and strolled down Brougham Street on his way to the railway station. What other stories could those trees tell us? At that time behind those trees was open fields, now an industrial estate. Let’s hope as progress continues its march that these trees remain as a link to our community’s heritage and days gone by.

Pre 1874 view of Eltham looking east from Bolton Street between Bridge Street and Brougham (Wellington) Street. Fenced road reserve on right is Brougham Street. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.)