Tag Archives: Shire of Eltham

MysteryMonday: Walsh Street, Eltham, c.1989

SOLVED: Near 5 Walsh Street, Eltham; looking east up Walsh Street from near Bolton Street

New speed calming measures, somewhere in the Shire of Eltham, c.1989 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).

#MysteryMonday – Today’s image is again of a residential area; once again featuring the new speed calming devices introduced by the Shire of Eltham, circa 1989. These residential roadscapes can sometimes be the hardest to solve unless you are familiar with the road. Given the level of success achieved so far, only two MysteryMonday posts remain unsolved since we started, we think this is a great way to assist us reducing our catalogue backlog.

Can you identify it? We’d love to hear from you; your thoughts and suggestions as to where it is and help us catalogue this image.

Over to you . . .

New speed calming measures, somewhere in the Shire of Eltham, c.1989 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Advertisements

MysteryMonday: Airlie Road, Montmorency, c.1989

SOLVED – Looking east along Airlie Road, Montmorency near No. 51.

New speed hump installation, Shire of Eltham, c.1989 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).

#MysteryMonday – Today’s image is again of a residential area; you are all so good in solving these more innocuous ones. It is a great help to us as we just keep putting off cataloguing them until we can positively identify the location. And again, it’s one of those that you either know it or not but everyone will know somewhere that looks like it, which is what can make it difficult. There are no signage clues other than the brand new speed hump signs in the immediate foreground and in the distance at the hard right hand bend. The Shire of Eltham took a number of photographs of new speed hump installations and new kerb and channeling throughout the Shire, circa 1989. Which probably explains why we have so many. Not so interesting at the time but as the development march continues, they become more valuable as a keepsake of what we once had.

Can you identify it? We’d love to hear from you; your thoughts and suggestions as to where it is and help us catalogue this image.

Over to you . . .

New speed hump installation, Shire of Eltham, c.1989 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).

MysteryMonday: Lower Plenty Road at Watsonia Drain, Viewbank, c.1965

MYSTERY SOLVED – looking eastwards across the Watsonia Drain and along Lower Plenty Road at a point just opposite Bannockburn Road (on the right, out of view). The main direction of sight is looking down the new alignment for Lower Plenty Road where a bulldozer is clearing for its construction towards the new Lower Plenty Bridge.

#MysteryMonday – Today’s image is of a rural highway scene, most likely within the former Shire of Eltham. It has been digitised from a single frame of medium format 6 x 6 negative so no surrounding images to help identify or date. But it is believed to be mid 1960s. The scene depicts a rural highway sweeping around to the right as it crosses a creek running from left to right.

Possibly a scene around Lower Plenty, Shire of Eltham, c.1965 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

There is a house in the upper centre of the image and just behind the house to the upper left can be seen a high voltage transmission tower. In those days, the only transmission lines in the shire were running through the Lower Plenty district. The transmission lines running north through Research and northwest were yet to be constructed so that should assist in identification.

Can you solve the mystery and help us to catalogue this image?

Over to you . . .

ThrowbackThursday: Cnr Susan and Bridge Streets, Eltham, c.1965

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to Swan Street, Eltham, circa 1965 where we cast our eyes to the southeast across the railway line and towards the intersection of Susan and Bridge streets.

Looking south from Swan Street, Eltham, c,1965. Train in foreground, Bridge street running parallel to train in background and Brisbane Street obscured by train. Susan Street north of Bridge Street (now Brisbane Street) on left. Vacant block of land is now the site of Bunnings. Presnt day SES building at corner of Susan and Bridge Street can be seen in centre background.
(Photo: ©Russell Yeoman; from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

In the immediate centre is a small cream cottage with green roof, number 66 Susan Street, which at that time was owned by the Shire of Eltham but is now the site of the Eltham Skate Park along with the adjoining Alistair Knox Park. In 1965 Susan Street ran all the way north of Bridge Street to the bend where it turned to the left into Brisbane Street. Today that section of Susan Street has been renamed as an extension of Brisbane Street.

On the southeastern side of the intersection we see the the building currently used by the State Emergency Services.

Looking south from Swan Street, Eltham, c,1965. Shows Susan Street, Brisbane Street and Bridge Street. Large open field in centre now site of Bunnings
(Photo: ©Russell Yeoman; from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

On the northwest corner of the intersection, is open land, the site of the future Bunnings store.

What memories to these images bring back to you? What can you share about the development of the area, even memories of riding the train through here? We would love to hear your stories and see any photos you may care to share.

Construction of Bunnings store at cnr of Susan and Bridge streets, Eltham c.2007-2008. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)
Construction of Bunnings store at cnr of Susan and Bridge streets, Eltham c.2007-2008. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

 

 

 

 

ThrowbackThursday: Eltham Festival Community Parade 1987

#ThrowbackThursday – This weekend brings us another exciting Rotary Eltham Festival. The first Eltham Community Festival was held in 1975 with great success but it was not always held at this time in late spring. In the 1970s the festival was conducted over a ten day period held during August however in the early 1980s it was reduced to two or three days duration and shifted to mid-late October. From 1984 it moved to its more familiar spot around the second week of November where it has remained ever since.

Up until the early 1990s a highlight of the festival was the Eltham Community Festival Parade which started towards the northern end of the shops, either from Youth Road or Cecil Street, then proceeded south along Main Road, finishing up either at Eltham Lower Park in the first years and later Eltham Common, or more recently Alistair Knox Park where many displays and stalls were set up.

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society (as we were known prior to council amalgamations in 1995) first participated in the Parade in 1979 and was a regular entrant up to and including 1990. During those 12 years the Society won a number of awards including “Best Effort by Locals”, “Best Eltham Theme”, “Best Display” and in 1986 even took out the Grand Prize.

Each year the Society endeavoured to undertake a unique theme for the parade float and display and today we time travel back 30 years to November 7th, 1987 when our float with its colonial washing day theme won the trophy for the best display.

The display was installed on Bruce Ness’ truck using a number of  larger implements owned by or available to the Society such as an early washing machine, troughs, copper and mangle. Joh Ebeli and Russell Yeoman set up further items on a trailer loaned by Denis McKay. (Many of these items are now part of the Andrew Ross Museum at Kangaroo Ground.) Members came dressed in appropriate period costume and musicians from the Victorian Folk Music Club who regularly accompanied the Society on the float again joined us in the Parade with their lively music, assembling in Cecil Street at 11.30 a.m. prior to the start of the parade at 12 noon.

Setting up in Cecil Street prior to the start of the Eltham Community Festival Parade at 12 noon; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Setting up in Cecil Street prior to the start of the Eltham Community Festival Parade at 12 noon; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Flo Spicer setting up in Cecil Street prior to the start of the Eltham Community Festival Parade at 12 noon; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Russell Yeoman (left) and Matthew Smith carry the Society Banner ahead of the float driven by Bruce Ness in the Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Society members Opal Smith, Eileen Gibbon and Flo Spicer, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Society members Opal Smith, Eileen Gibbon and Flo Spicer, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Society members Sue Law (President) and Garnet Burges, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Society member Sue Law and members of the Victorian Folk Music Club, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Members of the Victorian Folk Music Club, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Russell Yeoman (left) and Matthew Smith carry the Society Banner past the Shire Offices and Catholic Church ahead of the float driven by Bruce Ness in the Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Society member Jock Read bringing up the rear guard in the Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
The parade enters Panther Place; Society members Sue Law (President) and Garnet Burges, Eltham Community Festival Parade, Main Road, Eltham; 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society).
Jock Read at the end of the parade beside the Society float/display, Eltham Festival Community Parade, 7 November 1987 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society; photo: Joh Ebeli).
Shire of Eltham Historical Society members and friends pose beside their winning display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987
Shire of Eltham Historical Society members and friends pose beside their winning display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987

Some images from the Shire of Eltham display

Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society).
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society).
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society). Many of these display photos are now part of the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society). Many of these display photos are now part of the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society). Many of these display photos are now part of the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society). Many of these display photos are now part of the collection of Eltham District Historical Society.
Shire of Eltham display, Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987 (from the collectuon of Eltham District Historical Society).

 

ThrowbackThursday: 1934 Diamond Creek Flood

#ThrowbackThursday – In our July 6th post on Ansell and Muir’s chicken shop, we stated that because the store stood within the 1934 flood zone, the property was unable to be redeveloped. Consequently the former Shire of Eltham acquired the land and the building was subsequently demolished. But why did 1934 become the benchmark for our modern day flood zone planning laws? Well today we time travel back to November/December 1934 where we can gain some appreciation of the devastation that flood brought to the district; to its infrastructure and the community.

In early November 1934 much damage was done around the Shire from recent rains, detailed at the Council meeting held Monday, 5th November 1934 (1).

However, worse was to come. On Thursday evening, November 29th, the rains came again, ceasing the following Saturday morning, December 1st. It was reported in the Advertiser on Friday November 30th, more than 8 inches of rain had been recorded at Eltham North that morning; 80% of the annual total and nearly five times that of the previous November (2).

1934 Diamond Creek flooding across Main Road looking towards Eltham at the intersection with Falkiner Street; a Council truck blocking Main Road; Eltham Lower Park on right; Eltham Park Tea Rooms (later Ansell and Muir) on left flooded. The bridge can just be seen on far right centre (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society, donated by the former Shire of Eltham)

The flooding was the highest level recorded in the district for over 40 years. Lower Eltham Park was under 5 feet of water which also covered Main Road  for over a mile (3).

Floodwater from Diamond Creek across Main Road in 1934 at what is present day Wingrove Park. In the distance, left of centre, is Mr. Montieth’s Ford Wagonette stranded in the floodwater near Wingrove Cottage looking up Main Road towards Eltham. (From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society, donated by Peter Bassett-Smith)

The Diamond Creek rose rapidly engulfing all before it; houses and shops were submerged, livestock and poultry swept away and drowned in the raging torrents, bridges severely damaged or destroyed, fences laid flat and trees uprooted. At 1pm on Friday December 1st, Main Road was under water and cut off. Early in the afternoon, Mr R. Monteith’s ‘bus became stranded near the concrete bridge. The driver and passengers escaped but the bus was stuck there till  the floods receded the following Tuesday morning. By that afternoon it was back in service and people could start returning to their homes. What they found was a six inch layer of slime, which covered floors, furniture and bedding; crockery piled up against doors and window openings, bodies of dead pets which had failed to escape. And in some cases, snakes had sought refuge in the houses. Not since 1868 had floods caused so much damage. The levels recorded were now reported as the highest in 60 years (4).

At a Special Council meeting held Wednesday, December 12th, the Shire Engineer reported that damage was estimated to be £2,000 to roads and bridges; two large bridges being completely washed away. In today’s terms, based on economic project costs that would equate to almost $4 million. A detailed breakdown of damage throughout the Shire and private property was reported. Council applied for a grant towards the cost of repairs and opened a local relief fund through the Lord Mayor of Melbourne’s Flood Relief program for those whose homes had been inundated. It was noted that whilst other districts also suffered, Eltham Shire was particularly impacted not just through the loss of livestock but also because some of the cultivated land had been totally washed away rendering it unusable in the future for further cultivation (5).

Of course over the years Eltham has seen further regular flooding, the most recent significant event occurring Christmas day, 2011. Some of our members can remember the 1934 floods but they were only very small children then. What are your experiences and memories of floods in the area? Do you have any photos to share?

Main Road looking north adjacent to Lower Eltham Park near Falkiner Street in 1986. Ansell and Muir’s Chicken Shop (former Eltham Park Tea Rooms) can be seen at centre.(From the collection of Eltham District Historical Society; Photo: Marjorie North)
Main Road looking north adjacent to Lower Eltham Park near Falkiner Street, Feb 2017 (Google Street View)
Main Road looking north towards Wingrove Cottage adjacent to Wingrove Park, Feb 2017 (Google Street View)
A view of the area showing it in 1945 (Melbourne 1945)

 

References
  1. 1934 ‘Eltham Council’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 9 November, p. 6. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747061
  2. 1934 ‘DARING RESCUES AT NORTH ELTHAM’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 7 December, p. 2. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747404
  3. 1934 ‘DISTRICT’S RECORD FLOOD’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 30 November, p. 7. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747355
  4. 1934 ‘FLOODS AT ELTHAM’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 7 December, p. 1. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747374
  5. 1934 ‘SPECIAL ELTHAM COUNCIL MEETING’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 21 December, p. 2. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56747561

 

ThrowbackThursday: Eltham Parade 1982

#ThrowbackThursday – Who can’t resist a good parade? Nowadays the excitement and frequency of parades down Main Street, Eltham seems to have dwindled. Anzac Day, Eltham Spring Festival, in fact any good excuse; we just do not seem to experience them as much now but no doubt everyone can remember back to parades of the past; either participating through various school or community groups or simply watching the show and cheering the floats from the side of the road.

An fabulous display of local flowers and veggies proudly lead the parade down Main Street, Eltham, 1982

Today we time travel back to 1982 and the Eltham Parade as it progresses along Main Road past the Catholic Church heading towards Bridge Street. It was the year the Tasmanian Wilderness Society was in full force with the Save the Franklin River campaign, and Diamond Valley Railway was celebrating 21 years of passenger service.

These images are from a roll of film recently digitised as part of our 50th Birthday project to catalogue our collection on Victorian Collections to help preserve and share these precious moments in time.

Does anyone remember this parade? The time was late 1982 or early 1983; most likely Spring, 1982 and typically of that time of year, towards the end of the parade it poured with rain.

What is a parade without a fire engine to rev up the children (big and small). The Catholic Church can be seen in the background, much the same as today.
The Tasmanian Wilderness Society’s platypus float and Save the Franklin campaign, which resulted in success in 1983.
The Shire of Eltham Historical Society’s float as we used to be formally known as prior to the cessation of the Shire in late 1994.
And what parade in Eltham did not include Jock Read on his faithful mount here leading (but not seen in this image) the Horse and Pony club.
The Living and Learning Centre float
Diamond Valley Railway was founded in 1960 and commenced operations in 1961. Celebrating 21 years of passenger service.
The Victorian Police Marching Band take up the parade rear guard
The Victorian Police Marching Band standing proud in the pouring rain
The Shire of Eltham Historical Society were awarded a certificate by Rotary for the most effort by ‘locals’ in participation of the Eighth Eltham Community Festival 1982.