Tag Archives: Open Day

EDHS Local History Centre Open Day – Saturday, 1st September, 2018

Eltham Local History Centre, former 1860 Police Residence and home of the Eltham District Historical Society, 728 Main Road, Eltham, 13 November 2017 (from the collection of Eltham District Historical Society)

In place of our listed heritage excursion for Saturday, 1st September 2018, the Eltham District Historical Society will hold an Open Day at the Eltham Justice Precinct, on the corner of Main Road and Brougham Street, Eltham.

The intention of this event is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the establishment of our Local History Centre, which was opened on 12th July 1998 and is located in the former Police Residence adjacent to the Eltham Court House. Our Centre was established through the dedicated work of some of our members.

As part of this celebration we will also be launching our use of the replica Police Station next to our Local History Centre. The intention is to have this small timber building reflect a 1920s era Police Station, that will be used as part of our regular heritage tours for schools and community based groups.

This Open Day will be between 1pm and 4pm and is free for the general public as well as Society members. Dogs are not permitted at this event.

Advertisements

EDHS Local History Centre Open Day – Sat March 4th

edhs-1967The former police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham was built in 1859-60 to house the local police officer, with the first occupant being Constable Peter Lawlor and his family. This building is on the Victorian Heritage Register and is considered to be of state heritage significance as the oldest public building in Nillumbik, after the adjacent Court House, also built in 1859-60. A single stall brick stables building with a loft was also built in the rear yard, but has been substantially altered since. The original two-cell bluestone lockup, located where the rear car park now is, was demolished in the 1950s. Some of the bluestone blocks have been used as edging for garden beds.

Police activities ceased about 1952 when a new police station was opened in central Eltham. The residence was then used by the State Lands Department, followed by a Community Youth Support Scheme and later for the Shire of Eltham Parks and Environment Section.

edhs-2017Since 1998 our Society has appreciated occupying this former residence for our Local History Centre as the base for our operations and to house a range of local history resources, records and documents.

During the last six months we have undertaken a substantial refurbishment and reorganisation of the premises and to celebrate this achievement we will be holding an Open Day and official ‘reopening’ on Saturday 4th March from 2.00pm. Society members and visitors are invited to visit, browse around and explore some of our local history.