Tag Archives: Eltham village

ThrowbackThursday: Coles, Eltham Village

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to 1999 and the building of the new Coles store in the Eltham Village Shopping Centre at the corner of Main Road and Arthur Street, Eltham. This site has seen a fair number of changes over the years but this would have to be the biggest and deepest cut of all.

Looking across Arthur Street to Commercial Place and into the excavation of the pit and what will become the lower level of the Coles underground car park, 1999 [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
Construction of the new Eltham Coles store, 1999 [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
Construction of the new Eltham Coles store, 1999  [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
 

Advertisements

Eltham and District 1865

The Victorian Gazetteer – 1865

Eltham
37º 44’ S. lat., 145° 10’ E. long. (Co. Evelyn), is a postal village in the parish of Nillumbik, and electoral district of Eltham, situated 14 miles from Melbourne on the road to Queenstown. The river Yarra is 1½ mile distant. There is a steam flour mill (Dendy’s), a brewery, and a tannery in the village. The neighbourhood is generally elevated and rangy, except along the course of the creek. It is principally pastoral, with but little agricultural land. In several of the gullies in the vicinity gold has been found in small quantities, but there is no gold field known by any distinctive name. From 3 to 4 miles N.W. are two quartz reefs, known as Phipp’s and Orme’s reefs, both on private property. The nearest towns are Warringal, 6½ miles S.W.; Templestowe, 3 miles S.; Greensborough 2½ miles N.W.; and Kangaroo ground 6 miles N. There is communication with Warringal and the Kangaroo ground by coach, but none with the other places, except by horse or dray. The distance from Melbourne is 14 miles, and there is communication up and down on the Wood’s Point line each day. The hotels are the Eltham and the Fountain. There are no regular carriers or coaching offices, but parcels left at the hotels are taken up by the coach, and goods are taken to New Chum, Wood’s Point, and Melbourne, both by horse and bullock drays. Eltham is under the control of a road board, the population is about 350; and the geological formation is upper silurian rock with sandstone shales, &c.

The Eltham electoral division commences at a point on the river Plenty due W. of the southern boundary of portion 1, Section 12, parish of Morang; thence E. to Arthur’s creek; thence by that creek to a point due W. of Stevenson’s bridge; thence E. to the said bridge; thence S. to the river Yarra-Yarra; and thence by the rivers Yarra Yarra and Plenty to the commencing point.

The Eltham road board district has an area of 344,960 acres, and an estimated population of 1500 persons, the number of dwellings being about 150. The total value of rateable property amounts of £55,000; the estimated annual value of rateable property amounts to £6,800; the revenue from all sources to £1614 13s. 10d.; and the expenditure to £2,082 17s. 9d.