Tag Archives: Cook’s cottage

William Bravery Andrew (1842-1907)

William Bravery Andrew, born in England, came to Melbourne in 1842 and settled in Brighton, where he became acquainted with Henry Dendy. He moved to Eltham in the 1850s and opened a produce store on “Policeman’s Hill”, at the corner of Maria Street (now Main Road) and Franklin Street. He took a lively interest in the public affairs of the town and district, and with his wife Ellen continued to run the store for some fifty years. He died in 1907 and is buried with his wife in Eltham Cemetery.

W.B. Andrew’s Corn Store, cnr Maria (Main Road) and Franklin streets. The site is now occupied by Cafe Zen Den.

His son Ernest James Andrew took over the business, which became a general store and news agency. Later, it shifted to the main Eltham shopping centre as a combined news agency and haberdashery/clothing shop. Ernie too was married to an Ellen and they lived in Arthur Street at so-called “Cook’s Cottage” (due to its resemblance to Captain Cook’s Cottage in the Fitzroy Gardens). He was an Eltham Shire Councillor between 1920 and 1950 and was Shire President for a time. Andrew House at Eltham High School and Andrew Oval in Diamond Street, Eltham are named after him. Ernie died in 1950 and is buried with Ellen in the Eltham Cemetery.

The original weatherboard building at the corner of Franklin Street is long gone and was replaced by a brick structure, which is now a cafe called Zen Den.

Grave of William Bravery Andrew (1842-1907) and his wife, Ellen (d.1906), Eltham Cemetery, c.2002
Advertisements

ThrowbackThursday: Cook’s Cottage, Arthur Street

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to Arthur Street, Eltham in the 1940s. Site of the current Eltham Town Square and Woolworths carpark, 70 years ago it was the very distinguished home of Mr and Mrs Ernie Andrew. The house was known locally as “Cook’s Cottage” as it reminded locals of that rather more well known cottage of the same name in the Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne.

Ernie Andrew died in 1950 and sadly not long afterwards Eltham lost a very unique landmark when the house was demolished.

A few of our older members can still recall the house – does anyone else have recollections of it?

 

Cooks Cottage, Arthur Street, Eltham, c.1940s – Ernie Andrews house, Arthur Street, Eltham c.1940s (now Woolworths carpark)
Site of “Cook’s Cottage”, the former home of Ernie Andrews