Tag Archives: Arthur Street

ThrowbackThursday: Cook’s Cottage, Arthur Street

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to Arthur Street, Eltham in the 1940s. Site of the current Eltham Town Square and Woolworths carpark, 70 years ago it was the very distinguished home of Mr and Mrs Ernie Andrew. The house was known locally as “Cook’s Cottage” as it reminded locals of that rather more well known cottage of the same name in the Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne.

Ernie Andrew died in 1950 and sadly not long afterwards Eltham lost a very unique landmark when the house was demolished.

A few of our older members can still recall the house – does anyone else have recollections of it?

 

Cooks Cottage, Arthur Street, Eltham, c.1940s – Ernie Andrews house, Arthur Street, Eltham c.1940s (now Woolworths carpark)
Site of “Cook’s Cottage”, the former home of Ernie Andrews
Advertisements

ThrowbackThursday: Coles, Eltham Village

#ThrowbackThursday – Today we time travel back to 1999 and the building of the new Coles store in the Eltham Village Shopping Centre at the corner of Main Road and Arthur Street, Eltham. This site has seen a fair number of changes over the years but this would have to be the biggest and deepest cut of all.

Looking across Arthur Street to Commercial Place and into the excavation of the pit and what will become the lower level of the Coles underground car park, 1999 [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
Construction of the new Eltham Coles store, 1999 [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
Construction of the new Eltham Coles store, 1999  [From EDHS Collection, donated by: Ruth H. Pendavingh (Photographer)]
 

What is in a name? Part 2

While travelling along our local streets do you ever wonder why or how these were named? Let us have a look at some.

Josiah Holloway was responsible for the 1851 Little Eltham sub division that now comprises the Town Centre. His wife’s maiden name was Susan Maria Bible and his brother-in-law was Arthur Bible, so this explains the origin of Susan, Bible and Arthur streets in central Eltham. Part of Main Road was also originally known as Maria Street.

Brougham Street in Eltham was named after Henry Brougham, a British statesman who became Lord Chancellor of the United Kingdom. Among other things he actively worked to promote the abolition of slavery, helped establish the French resort of Cannes and was also responsible for designing the four-wheeled horse drawn carriage that bears his name. The western section of Brougham Street was named Wellington Street in Holloway’s subdivision, presumably after the Duke of Wellington, but was later changed so that Brougham Street was continuous.

The name of Shalbury Avenue off Beard Street in Eltham is the result of the combination of the names of Jack Shallard and a Mr. Bradbury who subdivided the land in that area. Mr. Bradbury’s family came to Eltham in 1913 and one of his sons (Ron) had a medical practice for many years at the corner of Main Road and Brougham Street, where there is now a restaurant.

 When Mrs. Theo Handfield subdivided land in 1924 to the west of the Diamond Creek in Eltham she named Peter Street and John Street after her two sons. However, the name of John Street was later changed due to possible confusion with the other John Street off Main Road. It then became Fay Street, after Fay Harcourt the wife of the well-known local builder John Harcourt.

 Bells Hill Road at the eastern end of Main Road, Research was once part of Mt Pleasant Road.  It was re-named in the 1990s because it was separated from the main part of that road. Bells Hill is the hill in Main Road rising up from Research to Kangaroo Ground. John Bell of the pioneer Bell family of Kangaroo Ground and Yarra Glen lived at “Violet Bank”, the first of the Kangaroo Ground properties at the top of the hill.

Prepared by Russell Yeoman and Jim Connor from the Eltham District Historical Society