Saturday, 3rd September, 2016 at 2.00pm
The Maroondah Aqueduct was once a major link in Melbourne’s water supply system. It was built between 1886 and 1891 to transfer water from the Watts River near Healesville to the Preston Reservoir. It was 66 km in length, made up of 41 km of open channel, 10 km of tunnel through hills and 15 km of pipeline across stream valleys known as inverted siphons.
The section of the aqueduct through the Eltham area has been abandoned since the 1980s but the open channel has largely been retained. A recreational path follows the aqueduct reserve.
For our excursion on 3rd September we intend to walk along the section of the aqueduct adjacent to Allendale Road. This is a section not visited on previous excursions and includes the transition from open channel to the inverted siphon across the Diamond Creek valley. Apart from the aqueduct itself the main feature of the walk is the extensive views across Eltham North and Diamond Creek. Along the way we will talk about the history of the aqueduct and the area.
This easy walk is about 3 km return and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It will start at 2pm at the junction of Allendale Road with Godber Road and Zig Zag Road North, officially Diamond Creek, but on the northern boundary of Eltham. (Melway ref.12 B10).
This free walk is open to the general public as well as Society members.
Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions.
Phone number of contact on the day is 0409 021 063