Heritage Walk: Back – track walk to Fitzsimons Lane – 2 July, 2pm

Saturday 2nd July 2016 at 2.00pm

Robin Woods
‘Robin Woods’ – the house formerly known as ‘Robin Hill’

Today residents of Eltham and beyond take it for granted that they cross the Yarra River at Fitzsimons Lane to travel to Templestowe and further on to southern and eastern suburbs. It has not always been the case. Prior to the building of the Fitzsimons Lane Bridge in 1961 there was no road crossing of the river between Banksia Street Heidelberg and Warrandyte.

Fitzsimons Lane seems an odd name for a main road carrying large volumes of traffic. Prior to the opening of the bridge it was a farm access road extending northerly from Porter Street Templestowe to the Yarra River. Land on the east side was owned by the Fitzsimons family. In 1961 the Country Roads Board constructed a bridge across the Yarra and acquired land to link Fitzsimons Lane with Main Road, Eltham. Much of this land came from the 15 acre property of Frank (Robin) and Margery Robinson Wood. The Woods’ house was named “Robin Hill”. It remains today with the name “Robin Woods” and fronts Yarra Hill Close, formerly the southern end of Bolton Street. In 1991 a new bridge was built to the west of the original bridge and Fitzsimons Lane was widened to four lanes of traffic.

Our July heritage excursion will be a walk to Yarra Hill Close and Fitzsimons Lane Bridge and will include commentary on the history of this corner of the Town of Eltham. This walk will follow a “there and back” route, that is returning over much the same course. It is about 2.5 km in length and is expected to take 2 to 2.5 hours.

It will start at 2pm at the corner of Bolton Street and Old Eltham Road (Melway ref. 21 F10). This free walk is open to the general public as well as Society members. Dogs are not
permitted on Society excursions.

Everyone is welcome to this free event from the Eltham District Historical Society

All are welcome……… but numbers are limited

Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions.

Phone number of contact on the day is 0409 021 063

Advertisements

Heritage Walk: Back-track walk to Fitzsimons Lane – 2 July, 2pm

Saturday 2nd July 2016 at 2.00pm

Part of an early map of the southern end of Bolton Street, Eltham showing a proposed subdivision - this is now the site of Fitzsimons Lane
Part of an early map of the southern end of Bolton Street, Eltham showing a proposed subdivision – this is now the site of Fitzsimons Lane

Our July heritage excursion will be a walk to Yarra Hill Close and Fitzsimons Lane Bridge, based on the story on pages 3 and 4.

Although the route is close to Fitzsimons Lane it will follow streets and paths that may not be familiar to many local residents. It will include commentary on the history of this corner of the Town of Eltham.

This walk on Saturday 2nd July will follow a “there and back” route, that is returning over much the same course. It is about 2.5 km in length and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It includes some hills.

It will start at 2pm at the corner of Bolton Street and Old Eltham Road (Melway ref.21 F10).

This free walk is open to the general public as well as Society members.

Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions.

Phone number of contact on the day is 0409 021 063

June Meeting – … about Thompsons Pharmacy, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Meeting

8th June at 8pm

Eltham Senior Citizens’ Centre, Library Place, Eltham

Thompsons Pharmacy
1928 ‘Advertising’, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922 – 1939), 20 July, p. 3. (AFTERNOON.), via Trove http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57757783

Shortly after the First World War Ivan Thompson, a pharmacist in Fairfield, expanded into the Diamond Valley by opening pharmacies at Eltham, Greensborough and Watsonia.

In the early 1950’s, Norm Williams considered he was fortunate to be able to serve an apprenticeship with Ivan Thompson at his Eltham pharmacy. He was with the business when it moved in 1952 to the present site at 964 Main Road, Eltham, which was the first brick shop built in the Eltham Town Centre. When in 1958 Ivan Thompson decided to sell his pharmacies Harry Brown and Norm Williams were able to purchase the Eltham business and expanded with pharmacies in Fairfield and Lower Plenty.

At this meeting Norm Williams will speak about how Thompsons Pharmacy has developed, while continuing to supply a range of services for generations of Eltham families. His stories, supported by a collection of personal photographs and recollections, will entertain as well as give an insight into how pharmacy practices and the Eltham shopping centre has changed.

As at all of our meetings, new members and visitors are most welcome.