In 1872 Senior Constable Myles Lyons replaced Peter Lawlor at Eltham Police Station. Earlier in his career, he had taken part in a search (one of many) for missing explorers Burke and Wills. At Eltham, his arrests ranged from minor instances of theft, vandalism and larrikinism to serious cases of manslaughter, murder and attempted suicide. He even tracked down and arrested two Norwegian seamen charged with desertion from their vessel. While conveying a prisoner from Eltham to Melbourne in 1886, he was attacked by the prisoner en route.
It seems that much of the local news in the Evelyn Observer was provided by Eltham Shire Secretary C.S. Wingrove. In 1878, Eltham residents held an “Indignation Meeting” at the Evelyn Hotel, complaining that the reporting had denigrated Lyons’ conduct and had stigmatised the character of Eltham’s inhabitants. They passed a resolution castigating Wingrove and supporting Lyons. Wingrove claimed to have been misconstrued. But in 1887 the Evelyn Observer carried a long ranting vitriolic editorial. It complained about inadequate policing generally, then attacked Lyons personally, saying that (although efficient in the past) he had now become incompetent and needed to be replaced by a younger more energetic man.
Myles Lyons retired due to ill health in 1889 but remained in Eltham until his death in 1899. He is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife Flora and five of their children. Four sons moved to Western Australia where two were killed in unconnected railway accidents.
The Victorian gold rush came to Eltham in the early 1850s and with it came a crime wave. Local traders called for police protection. This led to the appointment in 1857 of Irish-born Peter Lawlor as Senior Constable at Eltham. In 1859 Peter and his wife Kate were able to move into an official police residence at the corner of Maria Street (now Main Road) and Brougham Street, with stables out the back and a large paddock for grazing across the road. Some of their children went to Eltham Primary School. That 1859 police residence is now the home of the Eltham District Historical Society. The small wooden building on the very corner is a modern replica of the separate police station/office built around 1885-1900.
Cases investigated by Constable Lawlor included murders, stealing (horses, cattle, fowls, watches, linen, clothing), a search for a missing person, and two separate instances of abandoned children seeking help. He was officially commended in 1866 for bringing to justice a man who had indecently assaulted an 11-year old girl. Sadly, there was a similar but unconnected case only a few months later. But events had a lighter side; in 1871 Kate lent her piano to the Snowflakes Christy Minstrels for a Catholic Church fund-raising concert.
Peter was transferred to Prahran in 1872. He died in 1876 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with four of his children. His headstone was stolen some time after May 1990 but was returned anonymously (broken into three pieces) in August 2013. It is resting on his grave but has not been re-erected.
Meet at 2.00 pm (Melway ref 21 K9) in the cemetery car park entered from Metery Road.
The Eltham Cemetery is the custodian of more than 150 years of Eltham’s history.
As part of Local History Week activities, this special walking tour will visit the historical sections of the cemetery where we will share information about selected pioneers who contributed to the establishment of early Eltham. We will also talk about interesting and important local people buried in more recent times.
The walk is open to Society members and the general public. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions.
Eltham Senior Citizens’ Centre, Library Place, Eltham
It was intended that Dr. Andrew Lemon AM would be our guest speaker at our last meeting on Wednesday 14th August 2019, to talk about Heritage Advocacy – the role of historical research and historical societies. Unfortunately, due to a clash of commitments Andrew apologised for not being able to attend and we are delighted he will now be our speaker at our next meeting on Wednesday 9th October. As mentioned in our last newsletter, this presentation was very well received when Andrew was the keynote speaker at the recent Regional Conference of the Association of Eastern Historical Societies.
Andrew is an independent professional historian who has published many commissioned local and institutional histories since his first book, Box Hill, forty years ago. He has now written sixteen books, four of which have won prizes, on subjects ranging from local history, sport, education and biography.
Andrew received his doctorate of letters from the University of Melbourne in 2004 because of the excellence of a body of work, not one single piece, as in a thesis. He has been a consistent supporter of our Society and a long term member, who has spoken at a number of our meetings, over many years.
Members and visitors are welcome to attend this meeting, on Wednesday 9th October 2018, at 8:00 pm at the Eltham Senior Citizen’s Centre. We look forward to seeing you then.
Meet at 2.00 pm (Melway ref 22 A9) at the corner of Kent Hughes and Lavender Park roads, Eltham.
Pioneer Eltham farmer Thomas Sweeney (1803-1867) named his house, ‘Culla Hill’ after the area in Ireland that he came from. His house, now called ‘Sweeneys’, remains on a ridge line overlooking the Yarra River. It is recorded that Thomas Sweeney did well out of carting potatoes and other supplies to the various gold fields such as Bendigo, McIvor (Heathcote), Mount Alexander and Beechworth.
Culla Hill is now the name of the road providing access to subdivided lots of the former Sweeney property.
The Culla Hill walk will start at the corner of Kent Hughes and Lavender Park roads, Eltham (Melway ref. 22 A9) at 2.00pm on Saturday 7th September. Street parking is available in Kent Hughes Road. The distance is about 3km., and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. The walk will include Culla Hill with its views over the Yarra Valley, views of ‘Sweeneys’ and a visit to the Sweeneys Flats section of the Yarra Valley Metropolitan Park.
The walk is open to Society members and the general public. Please note this walk does not include internal inspection of any houses. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions. The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.
Meet at 2.00 pm (Melway ref 33 B1) at the corner of Bonds and Stawell Roads, Lower Plenty. (Street parking is available in Montpelier Drive)
The predominant feature of this walk in the Bonds Road area, Lower Plenty is the large number of magnificent old River Red Gums that line the route. These trees are of the spreading woodland form of this species indicating that they must have been originally growing in a reasonably open setting. The walk also includes parts of the historic Cleveland Estate and the homestead “Rosehill” established by pioneer farmer Henry Stooke. The walk distance is about 3km and will take 2 to 2.5 hours.
This area was the site of the first recorded European settlement in what was to become the Shire of Eltham when the Willis brothers arrived in the late 1830s. From the southern part of Cleveland Avenue there are extensive views across and along the Yarra Valley.
The walk is open to Society members and the general public. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions. The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.
All are welcome…..but numbers are limited
Our Society encourages interest in and the sharing of stories about the local history of the Eltham district in Victoria, Australia